There are three main research areas for the Institute:
- Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders, with a particular focus on their associated cognitive impairment and dementia.
- Neurotechnology development, with a current focus on behavioural micro-sleeps, sleep apnoea, and addiction.
- Multiple sclerosis, with a current emphasis on epidemiology.
To investigate these areas, Institute researchers have expertise in a number of techniques:
- Brain imaging (MRI and PET).
- Comprehensive neuropsychological assessment.
- EEG (brain waves) and EMG (muscle activity).
- Eye movement recording.